Goal 2- Social Location

Goal: Illustrate how your  social location intersects with, and impacts your interactions with children, youth and/or families

Strategy: I will bring my Power Flower to a supervision and discuss with my supervisor my social location in contracts to the people we support.

Resource: Jaglowitz, Amponsah and Murtaza (2016) state that,“to unpack the centre is to explore the taken for granted features of dominant forms of social organization. It is most difficult to see that a centre exists when you occupy it-for example, when you are white, heterosexual, a citizen, or someone with money in your pocket, (p.4)

Evidence:



Reflection: My supervisor and I reflected on my social location in comparison with those we support. We discussed how vulnerable and below the line of power many of them are. Some are non-verbal, have mobility challenges, and/or speak in scripts all of which would make it hard for them to defend themselves or exert power over others. This practicum has opened my eyes to how vulnerable this population is and how vital it is that they have trusted support.

Comments